ABGS Home | About the Society | News | Publications | Research Links | Pictures | Meetings
Aiken Historical Markers | Barnwell Historical Markers | Upcoming Events

Barnwell Downtown Barnwell, SC on Highway 3 (View Marker)
(front) Barnwell, originally called “Red Hill” and later “the Village,” was founded in 1800 when a courthouse was built on land donated by Benjamin Odom. Both Winton County and its new county seat were renamed for John Barnwell (1748-1800), a S.C. militia officer in the Revolution and afterwards. Barnwell was incorporated in 1829 with the town limits extending ¾ mi. from the courthouse. The heart of the city is the Circle, with its unique 1858 vertical sundial. (Reverse) Barnwell is perhaps best known for the dedicated public service of its citizens as governors, legislators, and jurists. The city is also known as the home of the “Barnwell Ring”, a powerful group of twentieth-century Barnwell politicians who included Joseph Emile Harley, lt. governor 1934-41 and governor 1941-42; Edgar A. Brown, president pro tem of the S.C. Senate 1942-72, and Solomon Blatt, speaker of the S.C. House 1937-46 and 1951-73. Erected by the City of Barnwell and the Collins Park Committee, 2002.


Winton County Court House Site (View Marker)
(arrow pointing to site 1.4 miles away) About 5 miles south of Barnwell on Highway 3
Originally Barnwell County was part of Granville County, later a part of Orangeburg District. Winton County was created by an act of the legislature on March 12, 1785. Justices William Robertson, John Parkinson, Thomas Knight, Richard Treadway, Daniel Green, William Buford, and James Fair were directed to erect a court house, gaol, pillory, whipping post, and stocks. These were built of pine logs. Winton County became Barnwell District in 1798 and Barnwell County in 1868. Erected by Gen. John Barnwell Chapter, D.A.R.


Ellenton Agricultural Club
Barnwell, at west edge of town on SC 64
(front) Established March 24, 1894, this agricultural club was organized to promote the welfare and interests of the Ellenton farmers and to improve conditions generally. The first clubhouse, built in 1904, was moved here in 1953 after the town of Ellenton was abandoned to make way for the Savannah River Plant. (Reverse) Town of Ellenton By 1873, a post office named Ellentown was located on the Port Royal Railroad, about 20 miles W. of here. In 1880, the town of Ellenton was incorporated. According to local tradition, the town was named for Ellen Dunbar, a local resident. Ellenton was abandoned in the early 1950s to make way for the Savannah River Plant. Erected by Ellenton Agricultural Club – 1980.


Downtown Blackville(View Marker)
The intersection of SC Hwy 3 and Main St.
(front) Blackville: Town of the Phoenix
Blackville was founded in 1833 as the first overnight stop on the new railroad operated by the S.C. Canal & Railroad Co. It was also the scene of 4 major fires in the late 19th century (in 1865, 1876, 1887, and 1888), each of which almost destroyed the town. Editor A. E. Gonzales nicknamed Blackville “The Town of the Phoenix” in 1889 in honor of its ability to rise again and again from the ashes and rebuild. (reverse) Battle of Blackville, 1865 Early on February 7, 1865, Federal cavalry under Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick advanced to Blackville from Barnwell. Col. Thomas J. Jordan’s brigade attacked a Confederate cavalry brigade under Col. James Hagan, drove it through the town and three miles beyond, and captured many prisoners, scattering the rest. Kilpatrick destroyed the railroad at Blackville and advanced west to Reynolds Station, between Blackville and Williston, that night. Erected by the Town of Blackville and the Blackville Historical Society - 1996


Morris Ford Earthworks, 1780 & 1865
SC Secondary Rd. 70 (Old Allendale Hwy.) just north of the Salkehatchie River Bridge (front) Nearby earthworks at Morris Ford, on the Salkehatchie River, built in the spring 1780 by Loyalists under Ben John. In May, soon after Charleston fell to the British, Capt. John Mumford of the South Carolina militia was killed in action in a clash with John’s Loyalists; he is buried at the site. In early 1865 Confederate cavalry under Maj. Joseph Wheeler rebuilt the old earthworks. (Reverse) Wheeler delayed the advancing Federal cavalry under Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick. On February 6th a sharp skirmish occurred at the works. Elements of Kilpatrick’s crossed downstream, outflanked the Confederate Cavalry and forced it to withdraw, then advanced to Barnwell while Wheeler’s cavalry withdrew toward Aiken. Kilpatrick’s Federals burned most of Barnwell later that night. Erected by the Barnwell County Museum and Historical Board – 1997


Barnwell County Courthouse (View Marker)
(just outside downtown Blackville on Hwy 3 heading north)
The county courthouse was on this site from 1871 to 1874. In 1869 Republican state senator Charles P. Leslie, a native of New York, sponsored an act to move the county seat from Barnwell to Blackville. Court was held in a church until a two-story brick courthouse was built at a cost of $8000. After the county seat returned to Barnwell the courthouse housed Blackville Academy, later a public school. (Erected by the Barnwell County Council, 2001)


God’s Acre Healing Springs (View Marker)
By tradition, Healing Springs got its name during the Revolutionary War. In 1781 after a bloody battle at nearby Windy Hill Creek, four wounded Tories sent inland from Charleston by General Banastre (the Butcher) Tarleton were left in the care of two comrades who had orders to bury them when they died. Luckily, Native Americans found them and took them to their secret, sacred healing springs. Six months later the Charleston garrison was astonished by the reappearance of the six men. All were strong and healthy. (reverse) Ownership of the springs passed from the native “Indian” tribes who revered them to Nathaniel Walker, who bought them with corn. The site passed through several hands until it was acquired by L. P. Boyleston. On July 21, 1944 he deeded the land and springs to GOD. The waters, by analysis are exceptionally pure and contain healthful minerals. People today, as in the past, believe they truly are Healing Springs. Erected in 19?? By the Frank and Lucy Hartzog Foundation and the Blackville Area Historical Society.

Barnwell historical markers for webpage, courtesy of the Aiken-Barnwell Genealogical Society